It was a short summer season here in Vancouver and while I had a bumper crop of tomatoes (yeah!) there is one small problem, many of them are (still) green. Very green.
Several pints of green tomato salsa, relish and chutney later I decided I needed to make something that was edible now. The answer was obvious (not fried) green tomatoes and onion. Easy beyond belief and a great addition to your dinner table.
What you need (Ingredients)
- 3-4 large green field tomatoes (or 10 roma/plum), sliced
- 1 large white cooking onion, sliced
- 5tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2c. butter or 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp butter
- optional: 3tbsp maple bourbon vinegar
- Melt butter/coconut oil in a large deep saute pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook at low heat until onion and tomatoes have gone soft. 20-30minutes.