Sometimes dinner rolls around and you just don’t want to get fancy. Maybe you don’t have the time or the ingredients. Maybe you just want something simple and clean. Summer or winter Peter Rabbit got it right. It’s hard to beat fresh carrots.
For an easy vegetable dish try steamed carrots with butter and sage. It’s simple.
- First, pick some carrots fresh from the garden (or Mr. McGregors).
- Cut them to your preferred size. Place in the top half of a vegetable steamer and cook until just tender.
- While they are cooking melt a tbsp of butter in a saute pan and add a handful of chopped fresh sage.
- Let the sage get a bit crispy, but be careful it doesn’t burn.
- When the carrots are cooked, drain them and place in the pan with the butter and sage. Toss.
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Serve the carrots hot, warm or even cold the next day. It is just as good for dinner with a roast chicken as it is with quinoa for a quick lunch. Just don’t get caught in the garden!