In my continuous quest to have summer last all year one of my favourite ways to preserve the taste of the season is oven roasted tomato paste. Looking for a weekend project? Making it isn’t difficult, just a bit time intensive. I assure you though your winter meals will thank you for it.
- as many ripe roma tomatoes as you wish. (A full baking sheet makes about one ice cube tray worth of paste.)
- olive oil
- sea salt
You will also need:
- large sheet pan(s) or cookie sheets
- parchment paper
- food processor / belnder
- ice cube tray
- Head to local farmers market and buy a ridiculous amount of tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit your sheet pan(s).
- Place tomatoes cut side up on the paper. Don’t worry, they can be packed fairly close together. The more the merrier.
- Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in oven.
- Allow to cook for 3-4 hours. At about the 3 hour mark make sure you check that they haven’t started to burn on the edges.
- When they are cooked, remove pans from the oven and let them cool.