It is officially fall. Boo. Yet it’s hard to be sad when Vancouver is having absolutely fabulous weather and my garden is happy.
In the spirit of keeping summer alive here is a gloriously simple cucumber salad. Perfect as a side with almost anything, it is also great with some chick peas or quinoa added for a complete meal in your lunch box.
- 2 english cucumbers or 1 large field cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4c olive oil
- 1/8c white wine or rice wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh dill
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Thinly slice cucumber and red onion. A mandolin works well (and quickly!) for this.
- Toss together in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and chopped dill.
- Pour oil, vinegar and lemon over top of cucumber and onion. Toss.
- Taste test. Add more dressing, dill or salt if necessary.
This can be eaten immediately, but it’s better made the day ahead as it lets the flavours meld.
Enjoy these last glorious days of summer.